1. News media are more influential nowadays. Some people think it is a negative development. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
2. Anyone can post information on the Internet. Some people say most of what we read on the Internet is inaccurate. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
3. In some countries around the world, men and women are having children later in life. What do you think cause the situation? What are the effects on society and family life?
4. Maintaining public libraries is a waste of money since computer technology can replace their functions. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
5. It is said that work is the most important thing of people’s life. Without the success of career, life will become meaningless. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the opinion?
6. The computers are widely used in education and some people think that teachers do not play an important role in the classroom. To what extent do you agree?
7. Computers are increasingly used in education. In which areas do you think are computers more important and in which areas are teachers more important?
8. Some people argue that the technology such as mobile phone (cell phone) destroys social interaction. Do you agree or disagree?
9. Although there are more and more women police officers in reality, are they really suitable for this job?
10. Some people say that to become a good teacher, you should acquire enough training, while others say that teaching capabilities can be developed with experience. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
11. Many developing countries are currently expanding their tourist industries. Why is this the case? Is it a positive development?
12. In many countries traditional foods are being replaced by international fast foods. This is having a negative effect on both families and societies. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
13. The government should pay for the course fees for everyone who wants to study at the university. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
14. There are more and more old people in many parts of the world. What are the causes of this and what are the solutions.
15. Nowadays, many people have to work longer time, and they feel more stressful than before. What are the reasons? What can employers do to make their life easier?
16. The best way to solve the world’s environmental problem is to increase the price of fuel. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
17. Some people think that good health is a basic human need, so the medical service should not be run by profit-making companies. Do you think the disadvantages of the private health care outweigh the advantages?
18. Individuals can do nothing to improve the environment. Only governments and large companies can make a difference. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
19. Some people think government should ensure the healthy lifestyle of people, but others argue that it should be decided by individuals. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
20. Exposure to international media such as films, TV and magazines has a significant impact on local cultures. What do you think has been the impact? Do you think its advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
1. Some people think that introducing new technology can improve people’s quality of life in the developing countries. However, others believe that free education should be offered. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
2. Nowadays, some celebrities such as film stars, sportsmen and pop musicians are paid too much money. Do you agree or disagree? Which jobs should be highly paid?
3. Technological progress in the past century has its negative effect, despite its remarkable contribution. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
4. In today’s society, more and more work is done by machines. Do you think the positive effects of the development outweigh the negative effects on individuals and society?
5. The major cities in the world are growing fast, as well as their problems. What are the problems that young people living in cities are facing with? Give solutions to these problems.
6. Today, the advanced science and technology have made great changes to people’s life, but artists such as musicians, painters and writers are still highly valued. What can arts tell us about life that science and technology cannot?
7. In many countries, the proportion of older people is steadily increasing. Does this trend have more positive or negative effects on the society?
8. Some sports are extremely dangerous but many people still like them very much. Why do people take part in dangerous sports? Give some suggestions on how to deal with these dangers.
9. An increasing number of people choose to live in big cities. What problems will this bring about? Should the government encourage people to live in small towns?
10. Nowadays education quality is very low. Some people think we should encourage our students to evaluate and criticize their teachers. Others believe that it will result in a loss of respect and discipline in the classroom. Discuss on both sides.
11. People should read only those books that are about real events, real people, and established facts. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
12. Some people say that computers have made life easier and more convenient. Other people say that computers have made life more complex and stressful. What is your opinion? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
13. There are some violent cartoon characters on TV such as Mickey Mouse which brings negative influence to children. Do you agree or disagree? What types of TV programmes are suitable for children?
14. Some people argue that a growing number of young people spend too much time in watching TV. Why does this phenomenon happen? And what kinds of activities should be encouraged to them?
15. In some countries, children start school at the age of seven, so they could have more time to build relationship with their parents. In other countries, children start school when they are 4 years old. Do the advantages outweigh its disadvantages?
16. Some people think the main benefit of international cooperation is in protection of the environment, while others think that the main benefit is in the world business. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
17. Some people think the only purpose of prison is to punish crime. Others think it has other functions. Discuss the two views and give your opinion.
18. Some people say modern children’s games do not develop a wide range of skills, while traditional games can be much better for developing such skills. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
19. The government should encourage industries and business to move out of big cities and into regional areas. To what extent do you think the advantages outweigh disadvantages?
20. International travel makes people prejudiced rather than broad-minded. What are its causes and what measures can be taken to solve this problem?